This is Otis’s second January. He is about 20 months old and weighs 28 pounds. It’s no surprise that a 20 month old is learning a bunch of new stuff all the time. Nonetheless it’s still very cool. Here is some of what he’s been up to the last week or so.
- He’s into music and loves to dance his plush toys (“babies”) to both grown-up music and to his various musical toys.
- He likes to play various whistles, recorders, tambourines and cymbals. Sometimes he plays the cymbals too loud and he doesn’t like it – but he still seems driven to play them loud and hasn’t figured out how to modulate it reliably.
- Otis now knows what one of something is. Actually I’m sure, from experiments we do, that he knows what two of something is. But he can’t quite say “two” reliably; for a couple of days he has said “one” quite well though, well more like “un.”
- The old Sesame Street video A New Way To Walk, is his favorite video. He gets a little desperate to watch it sometimes and he will say “new way to walk.”
- He is stringing words together like crazy: “burr kitties” when the cats go out in the snow, “pie dough,” “papa’s water,” etc.
- He is working out the difference between “mine” and “my.” Along the same lines he’s playing around with the difference between “s” for its use as a plural indicator and a possessive indicator , e.g. “mines,” “my’s”)
- He is using a lot more names like: “Ro Ro” for Rowen, “Amy,” “Nana”
- He’s been pretty fun lately.
Also there are newish pictures on the Mad Snaps page.
We went to a party last night. We all had fun, and Otis’s highlight was playing Emma’s guitar with Emma’s dad John.
Up until today Otis has been anxious about sharing anything, space, toys, etc., with Molly (our female cat). But today he completely went the other way and tried to give her blocks and balls to play with, a book to read and his sippy cup of water.
Otis got into numerals with me (dad) for the first time today while reading a book Grandma Jane got him “animal 1 2 3″ by Britta Teckentrup.
He is also saying 2 words together more often. “I do” comes up often in a book, “Tuck Me In,” and said that today. Kind of reading it.
Otis and mom are hanging out alone this week and next as Kael is in Hong Kong at a meeting. But we’re excited that Grandma Jane is coming over the weekend!
Otis has been working on learning his letters- so far he is very good at identifying O (for Otis!) and M (for mama!) and B (which he just seems to like a lot). He loves his books at home and at school and seems to have names for all of them. His magazine featuring a rooster is known by rooster crows, a book featuring strawberries is identified by “Mmmmm” sounds, his book where the Christmas stockings are nailed up is known as “bang bang bang!”, etc. It’s fun to read together!
There are a few new pictures in the “1 Year” folder and a few in “Otis vs Food.”
There are a lot of new snaps in the “1 Year” folder and a few in “Otis vs Food.”
Jane came to visit again. Otis decided that his nap schedule was wrong about that time, and we changed it to one nap a day. It was great to have Jan here to help keep him distracted and happy!
Bob Franklin also stopped by for a couple of hours. A good time was had by all.
Otis went to the doctor again for a bunch of shots and stuff. He is normal height and weight, but his head size is big, 90th percentile. He can actually wear some grown up adjustable hats.
Otis is really understanding what we say…
The other night Kael gave him a snack, cheese cubes in a little bowl (one of those condiment-size bowls, good for babies). Otis ate it, then wandered off. When he came back looking for more, Kael said something like ”where’s your bowl? bring me your bowl and I’ll refill it.”
Instead of picking up his little bowl from the floor at his feet, Otis went to the kitchen cabinet, pulled out a big mixing bowl, set it on the floor, sat down, and made his sign for “more!” I guess he was hungry!